OCA - Oceania Healthcare

Started by Benji, Jun 24, 2022, 03:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

0 Members and 3 Guests are viewing this topic.

Untamed

It just isn't good enough. I bet if we emailed them to enquire about a villa, apartment or care suite, we would have an answer the same day. Very possibly, even a personal phone call from their sales team.

I am at the point now where I will more than likely write an old fashioned letter, and send it "signature required" by courier. Just to make a point. I might even point out that they should keep in mind that shareholders may well also be prospective customers at some point. I am happy to let them believe I could be looking for care for a parent in the future. They wouldn't know it is BS, but it might wake them up to the fact that they can't simply ignore us.

Quote from: BlackPeter on Apr 02, 2024, 02:17 PMGood points. If it helps - you are not alone (re not getting email confirmations from OCA staff). I don't think I ever got any acknowledgement of my emails from any OCA staff I tried to contact with questions.

And yes, while they might not be the only company happy to ignore shareholder questions, they are clearly one of the worst.

Untamed

Did you have the email address for the Finance Manager? Or did you send it via the general "contact us" address?

Quote from: winner (n) on Apr 02, 2024, 02:36 PM1 queried some numbers that didn't make sense on WHS report last week by email

Got a detailed response from Finance Manager within a few hours

Over several years sent several emails to Oceania. Not all acknowledged but must say Anna Thorburn did respond to a few queries albeit in the 'can't say' way. Anna seen light if dayband no longer there ...maybe git told off for communicating with stakeholders

ValueNZ

Quote from: Azz on Apr 02, 2024, 01:47 PMOn another channel, on 29 September 2023, you made the following statement about Nvidia.

"if I can stop just one person buying into this company it will have been worth it"

Since then, Nvidia stock has gone up by 108% (from $434.99 to $903.63). How many people did you stop buying it? The reason this is important, is that everything you say and obviously believe - when it's tested it fails. At what point do you admit to yourself that you're wrong?
Am I wrong because I think that the price you pay is important? No. The fact that it appreciated in price enormously is not relevant. I believe it's important to follow the right process in investing and ignore short-term outcomes and you'll come out ahead of everyone else.


winner (n)

Quote from: Untamed on Apr 02, 2024, 02:45 PMDid you have the email address for the Finance Manager? Or did you send it via the general "contact us" address?


Contact Was on NZX announcement and it must have been forwarded to Finance Manager

Oceania hide behind a PR company but Claire.fisher@oceaniahealthcare.co.nz often listed as a contact. She's General Counsel


Untamed

That could be helpful. Companies usually use the same email address format for all staff so Brent's is likely to be Brent.Pattison@oceaniahealthcare.co.nz

Might try that and see what happens.

Quote from: winner (n) on Apr 02, 2024, 03:15 PMContact Was on NZX announcement and it must have been forwarded to Finance Manager

Oceania hide behind a PR company but Claire.fisher@oceaniahealthcare.co.nz often listed as a contact. She's General Counsel



winner (n)

Quote from: Untamed on Apr 02, 2024, 03:21 PMThat could be helpful. Companies usually use the same email address format for all staff so Brent's is likely to be Brent.Pattison@oceaniahealthcare.co.nz

Might try that and see what happens.


Good luck

Maverick on other channel seems to have a few contacts who communicate with him

KW

#981
Quote from: Azz on Apr 01, 2024, 01:15 PMWe're in a very bad recession. Last thing people will be doing is selling-up to relocate to a retirement village.

Not really.  People aged 75+ usually dont have mortgages so are unaffected by high interest rates. They dont have jobs so are unaffected by rising unemployment.  They usually do have savings so benefit from higher term deposit interest rates, and CPI adjustments to their superannuation.  Plus they tend to not be big spenders, so not affected as much by inflation in discretionary goods and services.

Their biggest problem is selling their house to someone who is affected by high interest rates, inflation and perilous employment.   Which may be one reason why the stock of unsold houses currently on the market is at its highest since 2015.
Don't drink and buy shares in a downtrend, you bloody idiot.

Azz

Quote from: KW on Apr 02, 2024, 04:11 PMTheir biggest problem is selling their house to someone who is affected by high interest rates, inflation and perilous employment.   Which may be one reason why the stock of unsold houses currently on the market is at its highest since 2015.

That's the problem though. Because the industry relies on the following.

* Retiree sells home, then
* Retiree buys home at [provider such as OCA].

However, we just have to wait I guess:

Quote from: Buzz on Apr 01, 2024, 01:25 PMThere will be keen interest in the OCA sales results, published in May.

~~ I thought I was a genius but couldn't follow simple instructions. I find it hard to work with others and accept the idea someone can have a different opinion to mine, now all I am is a distant meeeemooorrrryyyyyy (ghost sounds) ~~

Azz

Retirees won't want to sell into this market is what I'm saying.
~~ I thought I was a genius but couldn't follow simple instructions. I find it hard to work with others and accept the idea someone can have a different opinion to mine, now all I am is a distant meeeemooorrrryyyyyy (ghost sounds) ~~

KW

Quote from: Azz on Apr 02, 2024, 04:58 PMRetirees won't want to sell into this market is what I'm saying.

Its not like they have all the time in the world to wait for a better housing market.  They are getting older and more infirm every day, they will sell while they are still able to move.  And gloomy times might actually prompt them to move - if they want to be settled and secure before everything goes to shit lol
Don't drink and buy shares in a downtrend, you bloody idiot.

Poet

If you are a potential ORA customer, you also have to ask yourself whether it is better to move early or late.
You are going to pay the same amount for the ORA (30% of capital) so wouldn't it make more sense to move earlier and get the benefit for longer.

Azz

Quote from: KW on Apr 02, 2024, 05:08 PMIts not like they have all the time in the world to wait for a better housing market.  They are getting older and more infirm every day, they will sell while they are still able to move.  And gloomy times might actually prompt them to move - if they want to be settled and secure before everything goes to shit lol

My view is that those houses will sell - if asking prices are lowered; but in NZ, sellers (and that includes retirees) are more likely to either remove the listing, or keep the listing but with an unrealistic price. But your view could be correct.
~~ I thought I was a genius but couldn't follow simple instructions. I find it hard to work with others and accept the idea someone can have a different opinion to mine, now all I am is a distant meeeemooorrrryyyyyy (ghost sounds) ~~

KW

Quote from: Azz on Apr 02, 2024, 05:16 PMMy view is that those houses will sell - if asking prices are lowered; but in NZ, sellers (and that includes retirees) are more likely to either remove the listing, or keep the listing but with an unrealistic price. But your view could be correct.

They probably have a family member like me, who simply told my father to not be an idiot, take whatever offer was made and stop wasting time trying to get a better price.  Eventually he listened, lowered his price, sold his house, and is now happily esconced in his RV wishing like all the others that he had done it sooner lol.  
Don't drink and buy shares in a downtrend, you bloody idiot.

Untamed

I suspect this is the reality for many folk contemplating a move to an RV (or any other aged care option in fact). I also suspect that the vast majority of complaints about RV costs etc, have been initiated by families, not the person considering the move. I have seen more than a few posts on various platforms by family members, making the usual "ripping Mum/Dad off" rants. When you read their posts closely, nine times out of ten you very quickly get the feeling that their concerns are not actually about their parent, but about their inheritance, or should I say, lack of one.

I wish all families supported their loved one's desire to make this change, as you did with your Dad. At the end of the day, all that matters is that he is safe, cared for, and happy, and has peace of mind. Worth every dollar.

Quote from: KW on Apr 02, 2024, 05:24 PMThey probably have a family member like me, who simply told my father to not be an idiot, take whatever offer was made and stop wasting time trying to get a better price.  Eventually he listened, lowered his price, sold his house, and is now happily esconced in his RV wishing like all the others that he had done it sooner lol. 

mike2023

Quote from: KW on Apr 02, 2024, 05:24 PMThey probably have a family member like me, who simply told my father to not be an idiot, take whatever offer was made and stop wasting time trying to get a better price.  Eventually he listened, lowered his price, sold his house, and is now happily esconced in his RV wishing like all the others that he had done it sooner lol. 

Yip, I am seeing this a lot. We are out looking at the moment and the fastest sales by far are those moving into an RV. It is happening.